Sunday, March 4, 2007

Woefully Remiss

I have to apologize to myself and to whatever readers I may or may not have (I think this if pretty much for me at this point) but I've been remiss in at least logging onto my blawg and posting something. I'm sure much of that has to do with being a young lawyer, learning basic skills in the "residency" portion of my legal career. Learning the law is much like medical school but insteand of an official residence period with ongoing teaching etc., legal education relies on more senior lawyers to provide mentoring and teaching to younger associates. Unfortunately, those lawyers who are supposed to oversee this de facto residency period are often so busy that they don't have time to do a good job.

I've been filled with entrepreneurial thoughts about the potential for technology and the practice of law lately. It seems like only the smallest dent has been made in bringing the potential of technology to the practice of law. Certainly legal research is more convenient, firms have programs that track hours, bill clients, etc. but there isn't enough cross-platform integration and the barest beginning has been made bringing that potential to clients and to the courts. Part of it is generational and part of it has to do with the old guard's reluctance to take some measured risks in what could be an extensive reward.

And don't get me started on the potential for e-discovery.

No comments: